this is by far my favourite way to eat cucumbers.
cucumber salad with yogurt-dill dressing (adapted from Canadian Living)
- 3 cups thinly sliced cucumbers
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh onions
- 1/4 cup regular sour cream or plain yogurt (plain doesn’t mean ‘vanilla’ it means plain. this is not nice with vanilla yogurt. trust me.)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- pinch of finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar/lemon juice
this first step is unnecessary but it does make a difference in texture – salt the cuke slices by laying them out in a single layer on paper towel or a cloth napkin on a plate, cutting board or other large surface and lightly sprinkle their surfaces with the salt. you can flip them and salt the other sides as well. this ensures that he cukes stay firmer longer, and that the dressing doesn’t get too runny when the cukes loose their water to it.
while the cukes are sitting in waiting, mix together the sour cream/yogurt, dill, mint, lemon juice/vinegar, and onions. set this aside. this dressing tastes better if you let it sit for about 10 – 15 minutes to let the herbs ‘infuse’ sorta.
immediately before serving, toss the cukes and dressing together in a bowl.