Sesame beet greens
1 tbsp sesame seeds
8 cups loosely packed beets with greens.php”>greens, (about 2 bunches)
1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp grated gingerroot
1 pinch salt
1/2 tsp sesame oil
In small skillet over medium heat, toast sesame seeds until golden, about 3 minutes; set aside.
Trim stems from small young beet greens or remove center rib from larger mature beet greens. In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beet greens, garlic, ginger and salt cover and steam until greens are wilted, about 3 minutes. Drizzle with sesame oil; sprinkle with reserved sesame seeds.
Lemon Wilted Beet Greens: Omit sesame seeds, olive oil, ginger and sesame oil. In large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter. Add beet greens, garlic and sa< cook as above. Drizzle with 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice.
Balsamic Wilted Beet Greens
Omit sesame seeds, ginger and sesame oil. In large skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil. Add beet greens, garlic and salt. cook as above. Drizzle with 1 tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar.
Beet greens and feta pasta (chow)
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 4 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds beet greens, washed, ribs removed, and coarsely chopped (about 11 cups)
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 5 ounces crumbled feta (about 3/4 cup)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. When shimmering, add the onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the vegetables are translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the beet greens and cook until just wilted, about 3 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper, remove from heat, and reserve. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water.
- Return the pasta to the pot and place over low heat. Add the reserved pasta water and the beet green mixture, then sprinkle in the crumbled feta. Stir until thoroughly combined and heated through. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.